Back in the olden days—you know, before the Internet—trend setting was the domain of the rich and famous. Now anyone with enough social media followers can become an influential tastemaker (we should know!).
One of the big Instagram trends we are enamored with this spring is the “oil-slick lip.” Inspired by the swirl of iridescent colors reflected when oil is layered over water, this lip look requires multiple coatings of creams and/or powders and high shine gloss.
Here are our tips, tricks and products tips for oil slick lips:
A dark gray/black lip with shimmery green gold in the center of the lips.
- Layer a black lipstick over inner 2/3 of your lips and use your lip brush to blend toward the lip line for a precise application.
- To create that stunning 3D effect, layer 2 iridescent glosses onto lips. To avoid transferring lipstick into your applicator, roll a dollop of gloss onto the back of your hand and use a detailer brush to apply over the lipstick. Experiment with the placement of gloss to for a variety of results. Concentrate gloss on the bottom lip or the center of lips, swipe one gloss first then layer the second on top.
An intense mix of blue, green and gold and purple that result in an iridescent rainbow.
- Start with deep blue lipstick all over the lip as a base.
- Choose a colourful palette eye shadow palette, then select which colour you want to be dominant (blue, green or purple). Use your shading brush to press the pigment evenly over the upper and lower lip. Next, add accent shades in small sections, wipe off excess pigment in between colours or use a clean shading brush.
- Finish with a layer of high shine gloss, using a clean lip brush.
Try one of these techniques and post on Instagram with the hashtag #MyRealTechnique. We can’t wait to see the results!